Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Chad Reed Riding for RockStar Makita Suzuki in 2009 AMAmotocross season



Well it was great having another idol work in the same team with another idol and a legend. Chad reed has gone yellow from blue and is out to work another championship for 2009. here is an article from Team Makita Suzuki and and interview from with Reed himself.

American Suzuki Motor Corporation (ASMC) announced that they have signed current AMA Supercross Champion, Chad Reed, to join the Rockstar Makita Suzuki factory race team for 2009. Reed will race the 2009 AMA Supercross series and other selected events in the United States as well as compete in supercross events in his home country of Australia aboard his Suzuki EFI RM-Z450.

"We have a great heritage in racing here at American Suzuki," said Mel Harris of ASMC. "Suzuki has been dominant in the road racing arena for several years and with the introduction of the RM-Z450 and the help of Ricky Carmichael, Roger DeCoster and our dedicated team, we've been able to elevate our position in supercross and motocross to that championship level. The signing of Chad helps us reinforce our position and goals for the future of Suzuki racing. We are very happy to have Chad join our team."

Chad Reed, 26, began racing professionally in the United States in 2002 and since then he's earned two AMA Supercross Championships (2004 & 2008), an AMA 125cc East Region Championship (2002) and won the 2004 US Open. Over the last six years he has amassed a total of 42 AMA wins and 82 podiums.

"I'm extremely excited to be starting a new chapter in my career and to be working with Roger DeCoster and Team Rockstar Makita Suzuki," said Reed. "It will be a whole new experience for me which I'm really looking forward to. I rode Suzukis for a good part of my amateur career and have some great memories from then and now I'm excited to be racing the new Suzuki EFI RM-Z450. I believe this bike and my new team have great potential and I couldn't be happier."

"I am very excited to have been able to sign Chad Reed to Team Rockstar Makita Suzuki," said team manager, Roger DeCoster. "Our team has worked very hard to get to the level we are at today and I'm glad we've been able to secure a rider with such accomplishments and determination as Chad so that we may continue to be top contenders. Our sponsors have been extremely supportive over the years and I'm happy that we are able to provide them a top-level rider and team to support him."

Reed's first race with Team Rockstar Makita Suzuki will most likely be the Rockstar Energy Drink US Open at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas on October 10th through 12th.

Tell us, what's the story behind the switch to Suzuki?
I think it was the right time. You know, I had a great time with Yamaha. The past 7 years have been amazing. I won a lot of races, two AMA championships and two Supercross championships. I think things happen for a reason. The team I was on went a different direction. I'm excited for the change that's for sure!
It sounded like L&M had you locked in. How'd the Rockstar/Makita/Suzuki deal come about?
The new deal came about because I was really interested in working with Roger DeCoster and his team. All the Rockstar guys pushed real hard for it and it was just an awesome opportunity for me. I've been riding and testing the bike and it's gone really, really well. I feel really confident about another championship going into next year.
Will you be running the big #1 plate this year?
Not sure about that yet. We'll see, we'll see. I did photos yesterday on a bike with the #1; I think the red background on the plate looks pretty cool though. I've got a long way to go before Anaheim so we'll see how I end up.
Are you planning on riding in the outdoor series next year?
The Nationals are kinda hard to comment on right now. I definitely feel like I have some unfinished business there. Being with Roger and his crew now I feel like I have a great opportunity and a great chance at winning the title. I definitely have some soul searching to do and see what happens. With my Supercross in Australia, it definitely leaves me with no time if I was to race it. So, there are just a lot of things I need to do. Right now, I would love to do it, but we'll see. After 17 Supercrosses, we'll see how it goes. It's also nice when you know you don't have to do something, so it's absolutely 100% your choice to do it or not.
Any plans on racing the Motocross Des Nations?
Right now, I am planning on doing Motocross Des Nations this year. I'm not 100%, but I really, really want to go. Hopefully there's not anything that will stop me. The amount of travel that I will have to do that month and being in England and the race being 6 weeks away it could be tough to be prepared to go outdoor riding. Also, being in Australia the month of Oct/Nov leaves me with little time to test it. I have to wait it out a little bit and talk with Roger. Right now it's about 80%, but anything can happen. Definitely looking forward to it and being there for sure.
How would you compare this bike to the Yamaha?
You know, they're pretty much the same. I just really want to show off at Anaheim 1 and let the results do the talking. I feel extremely comfortable and pleased with the direction I went with.
What do you think of Suzuki's EFI system?
It's amazing! My experience on it has been unbelievable. I really love 4-strokes, but there was always something missing. I definitely think the EFI was what was missing. It brings a whole new fun experience racing Supercross that's for sure.
A lot of my crashes and injuries in the past year have been issues with the carburetor, so I'm definitely excited to have a motorcycle that has an EFI. So far I haven't had a problem with it. I am definitely looking forward to seeing how it goes.
How excited are you to work with Roger?
Roger's been great. He's a really positive guy. It definitely brings back a lot of great memories of my first ever year out of my home country. He is one of the most amazing people I've ever worked with. Just his philosophy behind racing and the effort he puts in is amazing. I've been through a lot of new things these past few weeks with the bike and had to adjust from the past 7 years of being on the Yamaha team. My opportunity is the best that it's ever been. I look forward to grabbin' it by the horns and taking full advantage of it.
Will you be pitting it out of the Suzuki semi or will you have your own rig?
We're working on all of that right now. I am a part of Rockstar/Makita/Suzuki team and obviously wherever they put me I'll be. I'm excited to see who's in what semi and even who's on my team because everything is undecided at this point. I'm excited to have a change; it's been a long time. I am coming off a very successful time with Yamaha. I made lifelong friends there, but it's time for a new chapter in my life. It's come at a perfect time and I'm excited about it all.
Coming off the 2008 Supercross Championship in May, how was the transition to the off-season?
To be honest it was quite hard to be happy and experience all that was going on. When you win a championship you feel good and everybody is pumped and you're excited to move on. It was kinda tough, it was really eye opening and it definitely brings you back to Earth and makes you realize that you can never trust anybody. It's been a great learning experience. I definitely tried to share my experiences with my family and friends. Other than that, it's been a lot of business. I've been busy trying to get this Suzuki deal locked down. Definitely looking forward to '09!
Lastly, any words to your fans going into 2009?
The fans have been great! There are a lot of good things going on for '09. The sport in general is real healthy and positive. I'm moving on to a new team. Then there's of course, James Stewart. Ryan Villapoto is moving up and there are always the veterans that you can never count out. I think it's going to be an amazing year. For me, and what I'm doing I am really excited. It's definitely a positive move for me. The last few years I've always added something different to the program. There are some things I needed to work on, but I think this move will cover some of the holes that I feel like I had. I'm excited for 2009 and Anaheim 1. My first race in the United States will be the US Open in October. That is a really special to me and it's a lot like the tracks that I grew up on back in Australia. It's in Vegas and I'm excited to get out there and have a good time!


No comments: